Computer Applications is a nine week course focused on developing Technology Literacy skills and Employability skills. This course is designed for 7th grade students and is aligned with both the Iowa Core 21st Century Standards and ISTE’s Student Standards. Students will be challenged to improve their keyboarding skills on a daily basis. Mini-lesssons focused on specific technical skills are presented to students in a variety of ways. A series of longer term projects require students to synthesize their skill sets to accomplish a goal. Projects involve topics such as digital citizenship, entrepreneurship, business, computer science and coding.
There are three core components of the curriculum: keyboarding skills, technical skills, project based learning.
- Keyboarding: TypingAgent.com | Typing.Com
- Technical Skills Google Apps – Classroom, Gmail, Drive, Docs, Slides, Sheets, Sites; Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Project Based Learning
Iowa Core – Website
7th Grade Priority Standards
- TL1 – Demonstrate creative thinking in the design and development of innovative technology products and problem solving.
- TL4 – Use critical thinking skills to conduct research, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate technological tools and resources.
- TL6 – Understand the underlying structure and application of technology systems.
7th Grade Supporting Standards
- TL3 – Plan strategies utilizing digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
- ES2 – Adapt and adjust to various roles and responsibilities in an environment of change.
- ES4 – Demonstrate initiative, self-direction, creativity and entrepreneurial thinking while exploring individual talents and skills necessary to be successful
* *TL=Technology Literacy ***ES=Employability Skills
Teaching Staff: Mr. Radue