Challenge 5-Strive for Less than 5 Absences This Year
To Our Davenport Community Schools Families,
Last fall our district, along with others throughout the Quad Cities, kicked off the “Challenge 5” attendance campaign. Challenge 5 means our students are striving for fewer than 5 absences during the school year.
Our schools are working hard to help students see the value of attending school daily. Daily attendance is an important habit to build early fto help students succeed in school. The habit of daily attendance also helps when students enter the workplace many years later. We need help from our families to let their children know how important school is to their future.
Mornings can be stressful for families with multiple children going to school or daycare and working parents. There are five tips we’ve shared to help families aim for five or fewer absences this year:
- Set and maintain a regular bedtime for your children.
- Prep clothes and backpacks the night before to help cut down on the morning rush.
- Only keep children home if they are truly sick.
- Have a back-up plan for getting your children to school.
- Avoid scheduling doctor’s appointments and trips during school hours.
Let’s all “Strive for Less than 5 Days absent in 2018-2019!
Dr. Art Tate, Superintendent