Tutoring and Homework Help
Academic Tutorials are back at Smart!
Academic Tutorials is a program allowing students to receive extra help completing and understanding their academic classwork. Smart teachers will be available from 3:45-4:45 pm on Tuesdays & Thursdays each week to help assist students. This is a great opportunity for students to make up or redo an assignment as well as get extra help to practice skills.
Students are expected to have something to work on when they attend Academic Tutorials. If a student attends without an assignment to work on or demonstrates negative behavior which causes disruption to others – they will be sent home, as they taking away the opportunity for others to receive to help. Academic Tutorials are a drop-in program. Students may choose to attend when they have a specific task to complete.
Tuesdays will focus on reading, language arts, & social studies work.
Thursdays will focus on math, science, & exploratory classes.
Students should attend on the night which matches the content of the work they are completing to assure a teacher certified in that subject area is available to help, but are welcome to attend at any time.
Academic Tutorials will begin on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 and continue through May 2017. Parents and guardians should work with their student’s classroom content teacher or counselor to arrange assignments for Academic Tutorials if there are concerns about bringing work to tutorials.
The US Department of Education has developed a number of publications featuring the latest research and most effective practices in subjects such as reading, math and homework. These publications are offered online and free of charge at their website. The research-based, yet easy-to-understand information in these publications can help families make good decisions about children’s learning.
Here are links you might find helpful:
- Davenport Public Library Online Homework Help
- www.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/reader/index.html– Helping Your Child Become a Reader
- www.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/homework/index.html – Helping Your Child with Homework
- www.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/succeed/index.html– Helping Your Child Succeed in School
- www.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/questions/index.html– Questions Parents Ask About Schools
- http://www.pta.org/ – The largest volunteer childhood advocacy organization in the US, with many resources for parents