|Name of Course:
||1 Quarter (Elective Wheel)
|Students will actively engage in an exploration of lifetime fitness activities and how they correlate to overall personal wellness. Students will explore nutrition and mental health components and how they also contribute to wellness. All students will develop a two week activity plan and enact it during the course to model a fit and active lifestyle.
- S3.M6.7: Participates in moderate to vigorous muscle- and bone-strengthening physical activity at least 3 times a week.
- S3.M18.7: Practices strategies for dealing with stress, such as deep breathing, guided visualization and aerobic exercise.
- S4.M1.8: Accepts responsibility for improving one’s own levels of physical activity and fitness.
- S5.M1.8: Identifies the five components of health-related fitness (muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, cardiorespiratory endurance and body composition) and explains the connections between fitness and overall physical and mental health.
- S5.M2.7: Identifies positive mental and emotional aspects of participating in a variety of physical activities.
Instructional Practices & Support
|Instructional practices will be aligned to the National Institute for Excellence in Teaching (NIET) Framework.
Teachers will maximize classroom time to provide instructional opportunities that are targeted and tailored to student needs. Students will experience high-quality instruction which includes:
- A classroom culture that adheres to productive classroom norms and relationships
- High quality tasks that lend to authentic engagement
- Productive discussions where students make sense, justify and generalize
Classroom Management Procedures
|Classroom management procedures will be aligned to the multi-tiered system of support framework, Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) to build an emotionally safe, positive and engaging environment. Teachers will understand, support and implement orchestration of the elements in the classroom:
- Establish positive ongoing teacher-student relationships
- Establish, post, and teach rules and procedures regularly
- Implement proactive strategies and interventions
- Use of acknowledgment system with specific immediate praise, and feedback
- Manage student behavior with a continuum of corrective strategies
- Students will be given multiple opportunities to demonstrate proficiency following additional instruction and ongoing assessment,
- Multiple data points will be used to determine the reported grade (formative and/or summative)
- Ongoing assessments may be given in a format different than the original and re-assessment will be given when students demonstrate new learning
- The time frame of ongoing assessments will be determined by the team and individual teachers based on student progress.
- Late work will be accepted without penalty within the unit of study.
- Extra credit will not be factored into grading.