Board Policy 404 – Bus Drivers, Custodians, Maintenance, and Aides
|Board Policy||Administrative Regulation|
|404.1 Bus Drivers’ Negotiated Contract (Not Available online)|
|404.2 Custodial Negotiated Contract (Not Available online)|
|404.3 Maintenance Negotiated Contract (Not Available online)|
|404.4 Aides’ Negotiated Contract (Not Available online)|
|404.05 Para Educator/Education Aide (Reviewed 12/10/07)(Revised 11/26/12)|
Para Educator/Education Aide
The Board approves the use of volunteers or employs para educators/education aides or other instructional support personnel to assist certified personnel in duties, including, but not limited to:
1. Managing and maintaining records, materials, and equipment
2. Attending to the physical needs of children
3. Performing other services to support teaching duties when such duties are determined and specifically directed by the appropriate certified personnel.
Para educators/education aides who hold a teaching certificate and are currently employed as a para educator shall be compensated at the rate of pay established for their position as a para educator/education aide.
A special education para educator who holds a current substitute authorization certificate issued by the Board of Educational Examiners may serve as a substitute/guest teacher in the special education classroom in which the individual para educator is assigned for up to 5 consecutive days. Compensation for a para educator in this situation would be equal to the daily rate of pay for current substitute/guest teachers.
It shall be the responsibility of the principal to supervise para educators/education aides.
The Davenport Community School District uses the term “Para Educator”, previously known as “Education Aide”. The Department of Education uses the term “Education Aide”; however, “Para Educator” is recognized as the same position.
- Legal References: Iowa Code Chapter 279.8, 280.3, .14 (1989); 670 Iowa Admin. Code 3.4(5), 3.7(1); 281 Iowa Admin. Code 12.4(9) (New Standards); 281 Iowa Admin. Code 12.7(1)
- By action of the Board 9/17/90; Revised 2/22/99; Reviewed 12/10/07; Revised 11/26/12
- Edited 12/07