Physical Plant & Equipment Levy (PPEL) Renewal
The Davenport Community School District is asking voters to renew our Physical Plant and Equipment Levy (PPEL) in a special election on December 11, 2018. This voter approved levy will expire on June 30, 2019. We are asking that the levy rate change from $.97 to $1.34 per $1,000 of assessed property valuation. Two of our three neighboring school districts in the Iowa Quad Cities are already receiving the $1.34 Physical Plant and Equipment Levy amount. Once approved, this rate would be in place for 10 years.
PPEL funding allows the district to maintain its investments in buildings, renovations, and energy efficiency. Proper maintenance of our facilities is important for a number of reasons:
- Providing a safe, comfortable learning environment for over 15,000 students to support student achievement
- Attractive, efficient, well-managed facilities support economic development efforts in our community by creating a positive image for potential new residents and new businesses
- We have developed a long-range facilities plan so all residents can see how PPEL funds are being invested. Some examples include:
- Roof replacements alone generate a need for $1-$2 million annually.
- The district has over 3 million square feet of pavements in driveways, parking lots, and playgrounds that must be maintained. This is equivalent to 24 miles of standard 2-lane highway. Based on a 30-year life, we would need to spend about $800,000 per year to maintain all pavements in fair or better condition.
- Now that we have achieved our goal of one to one technology devices for students, the cost for maintaining that stock of devices and to replace broken, missing, and obsolete units is estimated at $750,000 annually.
Please consider voting in the upcoming special election. The polling hours are from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, December 11, 2018. Eight Vote Centers will be available as polling places and the public may vote at any of these locations. Please click to view a one page PPEL Information Sheet which provides an overview of the issue.