Volunteer (Green Cord) Information
The Green Cord program is a distinguished award available to high school students with the purpose of recognizing their volunteer efforts. Program participation is voluntary for all North High School students.
Students become eligible to participate in Green Cord during the summer of their 8th grade year prior to becoming a freshman at NHS.
Students who complete the required 40 volunteer service hours will be recognized at their graduation by wearing a Green cord with their cap and gown and with special mention in the Commencement program.
All students must have completed 40 hours of approved and documented volunteer service by due date designated of their senior year.
Volunteer Recognition Guidelines for Davenport North High School Students:
- Volunteer opportunities are:
- Unpaid activities that aim to benefit individuals, groups, or community agencies.
- Activities that are not part of an academic, court-ordered, or discipline requirement.
- Activities occurring during the Academic Day (8:10-12:15/2:02/3:02) will not be accepted, unless you are a Senior with an off block.
- Church activities that benefit the community outside of regular religious services; including Teaching Sunday School classes.
- Volunteer opportunities cannot take place when an academic class is scheduled.
- Membership in an organization alone does not count toward volunteer service hours; taking part in a service project that organization in supporting would count.
- Babysitting only counts if completed for an organization or club; babysitting for family members/friends does not count towards volunteer hours.
- You must log a total of 40 hours during your high school experience to earn graduation recognition.
- A separate Log Sheet and Agreement must be used for each community service activity/location.
- Log sheets should be turned in upon completion; do NOT wait to turn them all in at once!
- THE DEADLINE FOR ALL VOLUNTEER HOURS PAPERWORK IS APRIL 18th. NO FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE.
To Get Started:
- Pick up the Volunteer Opportunity Agreement Sheet with Student Log Sheet from the Student Services (Guidance) Office or print a copy of one.
- Have the supervisor fill out the Volunteer Opportunity Agreement Sheet and use the log sheet on the back to log your hours with that organization.
- Students will need one Volunteer Opportunity Agreement with Log Sheet for each different volunteer opportunity completed.
- Turn the Volunteer Opportunity Sheet with Log Sheet into the Guidance Office upon completion of hours.