1002 Spring Street
As district school enrollments increased in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, the Davenport School Board considered ways to accommodate the students. The location of Washington School in relation to busy streets caused the Board to opt for a new building to house the increased numbers. A site was purchased on Spring Street and River Drive for a K-3 building. Hoover School was the name selected and September of 1955 was set for opening date. Delays in construction resulted in delaying the opening until the fall of 1956. When students completed third grade they went to Washington School, located at East Locust and Eastern Avenue. In 1975 the front porch was enclosed to provide for a library. In 1990 the school adopted an innovative plan and became the first “year round” school in Iowa. A flexible schedule provided for instructional times and enrichment or “remedial” time. Enrollments decreased and the Board decided to close Hoover as a regular school at the close of the 1997-98 school year. The following year 1998-99, Hoover opened as a pre-school. It is now called Children’s Village at Hoover.
For more information, please visit our Museum.