Elementary School Bandp6280677_bp6280684_bOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA1910_high_school_orchestraOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA1908_basketball_teamOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAp6280706.jpgOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAsusan-glaspell-2early_classroomphebe_sudlowYearbooks from CentralOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAStereoscopic ViewerGlobeOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAp6280661_bSchool furniture_and materialsOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOur Volunteers, Working HardTimeline WallOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAgarfield_1923OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWall of Athletics memoribiliaOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASuperintendent's DeskOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
  • Davenport School Museum
    1606 Brady Street (lower level)
    Davenport, IA 52803
    Phone: 563-336-5000
    email: museum@davenportschools.org

  • Central High School

    Building

    • 1900- Griswold College Lot Puchased
    • 1904 (August, 4)- Contract to Build Awarded
    • 1904 (October, 1)- Ground broken on new site
    • 1905 (June, 19)- Conerstone Laid by Superintendent JB Young
    • 1907 (January 14)- Building Completed
    • 1907- First Classes held at Central (then known as Davenport High School): George Edward Marshall was first principal (1907-1932)
    • 1915- Kemper Hall Purchased
    • 1930- New George Marshall Gym Built

    Athletics

    • 1893- First Football Team: Vic Littig was first coach
    • 1910- First Baseball Team
    • 1923- Jesse Day starts Teaching Career: Football Coach (compiled win-loss 153-43) Originated the Davenport Relays as Track Coach
    • 1928- Paul Moon Starts his 24 year Basketball Coaching Career: Won 7 state championships, most concecutive apperances at state
    • 1936- The Blue Devil was Adopted as Mascot: School colors were Harvard Red and Yale Blue (1893), Previously known as the “Mooners” or the “Hill Toppers,” Paul Moon suggests new mascot
    • 1937- Wrestling becomes a Major Sport

    Courses

    • 1886- Physical Education Introduced
    • 1888- Cooking Introduced
    • 1889- Manual Training Introduced
    • 1907- Typing and Stenography Introduced
    • 1943- Vocational Guidence Introduced
    • 1950- Drivers’ Education Introduced

     In 1910, there were seven courses of study, each 40 weeks long and “sufficient to meet the wants of all students of high school age.” Academic disciplines 100 years ago covered Latin, German, science, English, commercial business, manual training (for those entering industrial and technical careers) and domestic science. One hundred years later, much different courses of study are in place.

    Extra Curriculars and Teachers

    • 1899- First “The Red and Blue” Newspaper Printed
    • 1910- Arthur E. Keiber starts 40 year Teaching Career: Debate Teacher, frequently coached or judged events
    • 1919- ROTC Program Started
    • 1923- Kent Gannet starts 29 year Career:  Vocal Music Teacher, practically started the program
    • 1934- Forrest Mortiboy starts 36 year Career: Instrumental Music Teacher, participation in Band and Orchestra skyrocketed while under Mr. Mortiboy’s wing
    • 1939- First Minstrel (Variety) Show: Mostly Band, Orchestra, and Vocal Music Programs
    • 1941- First Military Ball: hosted by ROTC

    For more information, visit Central’s Website, or visit our Museum