216 West Hayes St.
In 1901, the Davenport School Board purchased block #14 of Grant’s Addition in the North part of Davenport for a future school. Ten years later a sucessful bond referundum was held to approve the sale of bonds to erect and equip a new school on the site. Grant school opened the next year, 1912. After the opening of the Intermediate schools in 1919, Grant became a grade K-6 school. In 1939-1940 renovations were made to equip the building to accomadate the updated programs being provided in the new elementary schools that were being built. In 1954 an addition to the building provided an all purpose room that served as a gymnasium and an auditorium. The school board voted to close the school at the close of the 2001-2002 school year and send students to the neighboring schools. The following year the building was sold to be used as a church.
For more information, visit our Museum.