1608 East Locust St.
Using Federal Funds matched with voter approved local funds, Washington was one of the six new elementary schools that opened in the fall of 1940. Students from old Washington, Pierce, and Tyler Schools, which were closed, provided students to the new building. The building provided faculties for a completely revised elementary school program, providing special teachers for math, art, science, music, and physical education. Since opening in 1940, four classrooms were added in 1952. Another classroom was added in 1994. In 2005 extensive renovations were made, relocating thr instructional materials plus other needed facililities. Former students from old Washington School persuaded the demolition crew to save the bell and the corner stone. They collected money to have these preserved in a “shrine” on the present school site.