OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAp6280677_bOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASchool furniture_and materialsOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA1910_high_school_orchestraOur Volunteers, Working HardOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAElementary School Bandp6280661_bOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAearly_classroomOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAStereoscopic Viewerp6280706.jpggarfield_1923susan-glaspell-2OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWall of Athletics memoribiliaYearbooks from Centralphebe_sudlowGlobeSuperintendent's DeskOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA1908_basketball_teamOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAp6280684_bOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERATimeline WallOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
  • Davenport School Museum
    1702 N. Main Street (lower level)
    Davenport, IA 52803
    Phone: 563-336-7540
    email: museum@davenportschools.org

  • Hoover

    1002 Spring Street

    As district school enrollments increased in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, the Davenport School Board considered ways to accommodate the students. The location of Washington School in relation to busy streets caused the Board to opt for a new building to house the increased numbers. A site was purchased on Spring Street and River Drive for a K-3 building. Hoover School was the name selected and September of 1955 was set for opening date. Delays in construction resulted in delaying the opening until the fall of 1956. When students completed third grade they went to Washington School, located at East Locust and Eastern Avenue. In 1975 the front porch was enclosed to provide for a library. In 1990 the school adopted an innovative plan and became the first “year round” school in Iowa. A flexible schedule provided for instructional times and enrichment or “remedial” time. Enrollments decreased and the Board decided to close Hoover as a regular school at the close of the 1997-98 school year. The following year 1998-99, Hoover opened as a pre-school. It is now called Children’s Village at Hoover. 

    For more information, please visit our Museum.

    Hoover 1955