Summer Learning Quick Links:
Summer Reading Lists
Davenport Community School District media specialists have prepared the following summer reading lists for grade 1-12 students. These lists will help the students and their parents find enjoyable books for their children during the summer months. Happy Reading!
- Summer Reading List: Grades 1-2
- Summer Reading List: Grades 3-5
- Summer Reading List: Grades 6-8
- Summer Reading List: Grades 9-12
Online Resources for Summer Learning At Home
- http://www.starfall.com/ Starfall: A free public service to teach children to read with phonics. Their systematic phonics approach is perfect for preschool-3, special education, homeschool, and English language development (ELD, ELL, ESL).
- http://www.cookie.com/ Cookie.com: Games, videos, and worksheets for early reading, writing, phonics and math skills. Cookie learning games for kids help in building skills needed for success in school. While playing fun educational games, kids learn to read with phonics, build skills in math, language, social studies, science and much more.
- http://www.spellingcity.com/ SpellingCity: More than 42,000 spelling words with customizable sentences and definitions, free printables for elementary, intermediate and high school. They have handwriting worksheets, and online games like Alphabetical Order, Unscramble, Parts of Speech, HangMouse, Crossword Puzzle, WordSearch, and Vocabulary Test.
- www.AAAmath.com Customized by grade level and topic, AAA Math features explanations of various mathematical topics, practice problems and fun, challenging games.
- www.figurethis.org Created by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, this site helps families enjoy mathematics outside school through a series of fun and engaging challenges.
- www.mathleague.com The Math League, designed for students in fourth grade through high school, specializes in math contests, books and computer software. The “Help Facility” is a handy reference guide for math topics complete with examples, definitions and explanations.
- www.mathcats.com Math Cats provides playful explorations of important math concepts through games, crafts and interactive projects. Includes a magic chalkboard and an art gallery.
- Visit VanderVeer Botanical Park and Conservatory with your family. Find them online at: www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/parks
- The Putnam Museum of History and Natural Science houses thousands of exhibits. Visit them at: http://www.putnam.org
- Nahant Marsh is an urban wetland in Southwest Davenport. Visit them at: http://www.nahantmarsh.org
- Visit your local recycling center and composting center. The Waste Commission of Scott County offers more information at: http://www.wastecom.com
- PBS KIDS LAB www.pbskids.org/lab