DCSD Superintendent Search Timeline & Updates
In a letter to the Davenport Community School District Board President dated April 10, 2018, Dr. Art Tate, Superintendent of the Davenport Community School District, announced his intention to retire from his position effective June 30, 2019. The Board agreed on the need to launch a national search for a qualified candidate to become the next superintendent of the Davenport Community School District effective July 1, 2019.
The Board retained the services of Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates (HYA), a consulting firm that specializes in assisting boards with the consideration of candidates for superintendent to conduct the search for a new superintendent.
Several steps in the search process have been completed. Following is a timeline for the search process:
- An Online Survey was open to the public from October 12 through November 4 to help the HYA learn more about the characteristics that the district and the community is seeking in a new superintendent. Focus groups were also held on November 1-2 at various locations to allow parents, students, staff, and members of the community to talk directly with the search consultants. A total of 1,078 people participated in either the online survey, a focus group, or a community forum.
- November 26, 2018: Dr. Ted Blaesing, a consultant with HYA, presented the Leadership Profile Report – Davenport, IA and the Davenport, IA HYA Survey Report to the DCSD Board. He also presented a compilation of the desired characteristics of a new DCSD Superintendent based on information from the focus groups and the online survey Desired Characteristics – Davenport, IA.
- November 2018-January 2019: Recruitment for the position of Superintendent has already begun based on the information provided by various stakeholder groups.
- January 22, 2019: Semi-finalist candidates for the Superintendent position will be interviewed by the Board. Finalists for the position will be identified and invited back for a second round interview and additional meetings.
- January 28, 2019: HYA works with the Board to narrow the field to 3 finalists for the position.
- February 2019: Second round interviews will be conducted. The hope will be to identify a preferred candidate and begin contract negotiations.
- Tentatively Spring 2018: Board decision and announcement of the new superintendent.
- July 1, 2019: New DCSD Superintendent begins work.
Thank you to everyone who has participated in this process to date! Please continue to watch this page for updates as soon as they are available.