To begin receiving the Eblast email, please contact Tina Rowland firstname.lastname@example.org.
CENTRAL BLUE DEVILS
November 06 -10
Monday, November 13
Happy Monday! Hppe you had an Amazing 3-day weekend!
Start of Winter Season: Boys Basketball & Wrestling
Tuesday, November 14
1:30PM – Scott Community College (CSSC)
Wednesday, November 15
CHS Class of 2022 (8th graders) Orientation Night; 6:30p-8p
Thursday, November 16
OPUS Honor Choir @ Iowa State University – Ames, IA
Friday, November 17
IHSMA All-State Festival @ Iowa State University – Ames, IA
Saturday, November 18
IHSMA All-State Festival @ Iowa State University – Ames, IA
DC Blue Devil Marching Band; Festival of Trees Parade; Downtown Davenport
Mark Your Calendar:
Staff and students, please come support The Blue Devil Powerlifting Team as they lift at West High School on Saturday November 4th. Lifting begins at 10:00am. Watch Mr. Behmetuik earn the unofficial title of Strongest Teacher in Davenport and see two of the top high school girls in the nation, Kaylin Buckley and Lea Grady set Iowa State records in the bench press.
McKinley’s Craft & Vendor Fair will be held Saturday, November 11th from 9:00-2:00. Shop for holiday gifts (or just for fun!) while supporting McKinley and small businesses. It’s free to attend, so bring some friends! You can even have gifts wrapped for a small fee.
Counseling & Student Services Center:
- Seniors completing college applications—pay attention to deadlines!
- Scholarships are available on the CHS website under Student Life and also may be accessed through Career Cruising.
- The FAFSA is now available for completion. Visit fafsa.ed.gov
- Seniors who are planning to attend college—please complete the “Senior Letter of Recommendation Worksheet” and return to your counselor ASAP
Attention Parents of College Bound Seniors: Scott Community College (SCC) is offering 2 local FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Sessions to parents. The sessions are free to the public and you do not have to attend SCC to receive this
FREE information. The first session is from 4-7 p.m. on Monday, Nov 6 at SCC Main Campus. Call 441-4040 to RSVP. The second session is from 4-7 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov 8th, at the West Davenport Center (Fairmont). Call 326-5319 to RSVP. Parents will need to bring a copy of their 2016 taxes.
- Thelma V. and John T. McColm Scholarship 12/01/17
- Dorothy Klindt Memorial Scholarship—Iowa State Univ. 12/01/17
- AXA Achievement Scholarship 12/15/17
- United States JCI Senate Foundation Scholarship 1/01/18
- Quad City Regional Auto Show Scholarships 1/03/18
- Quad City Regional Auto Show Scholarship 1/03/18
- Grand Lodge Scholarship Program 2/01/18
- Iowa Newspaper Foundation Scholarships 2/09/18
- Hy-Vee Foundation Scholarship 2/10/18
- Scott County Farm Bureau Scholarship Awards 3/01/18
- Grand Lodge of Iowa Masonic Scholarship 3/01/18
- Eastern Iowa Community College Scholarships 3/01/18
- – Connections & Foundations
- Ascentra Credit Union Scholarship 3/03/18
- Herbert Hoover Uncommon Student Award 3/15/18
- Davis Scholarship 5/22/18
Central High School and Gear-Up Iowa are hosting after school tutoring from 3:10-4:10pm every Tuesday and Thursday in the LMC. Remember to get a pass from your teacher!
Central High and Gear-Up Iowa are hosting Catch-Up academy on October 14th. Food and beverage is provided. Stop by 425 to sign up with Mr. Johnson!
String Things & Band Beats:
Davenport Central Band & Orchestra
Poinsettia Fundraiser Sale
This year the Band & Orchestra will be selling poinsettia plants.
The Holiday Season is just around the corner and what better way is there to celebrate/decorate than with a beautiful poinsettia.
The cost for these beautiful 14”plants, with 5-7 blooms, is $10 each. Color choices are Red, White or Grower’s Choice (novelty color that isn’t specified).
Order forms must be turned in at school to your music directors, no later than Tuesday, 21 November 2017.
Checks can be made out to Davenport Central BOP.
Pick up will be from 2-5pm, Friday, 1 December 2017 at the Brady Street Stadium Garages (south of the stadium).
All students will have order forms available the week of 30 Oct 2017.
If you don’t know a music student, please contact: Theresa Fahrenkrug, 563-650-2093
DC You Know!!!
Drug Free Pledge
Shades of Success and Camp Excel hosted several activities in the cafeteria recently. There were over 300 Blue Devils who signed a pledge to be Drug Free and pledged never to bring a gun or weapon to school to settle disputes. Shades of Success members in attendance were Maria Duran, Riziki Furaha, Pendeza Etandu, Rizma KC, Zahria Flake, Kidada Graham, Kaylin Buckley and Zandra Rodriguez – Prevention Specialist at CADS. Thanks you also to Matt McDowell who was the sponsor from Camp Excel. Go Blue!
Congratulations to Mrs. Ott’s art students who participated in the Graffiti for Good Bully Awareness project. They received 3rd place for their art piece which was about cyberbullying and how social media plays a big part in the role of bullying today. These students include:
- Cole Foderberg
- Myah Williams
- Isabelle Kern
- Noah Neal
- Hannah King
- Kris Wilford
- Isis Theissen
- Rachael Downing
In addition to this recognition, the Art Club and NAHS also participated in the Davenport Halloween Parade. They partnered with Davenport Public Works to create a Kiss themed bus. With their combined efforts the team received first place for best Halloween costume! Students made the decorations for the bus and then participated in the parade and had a great time!
Congratulations to all of the talented artists who worked on these projects!
Student Hunger Drive
On Tuesday, October 24th, the Student Council held an Assembly to energize the student body about the Student Hunger Drive. They did this by having a competition between the grades by participating in Minute to Win it style games. Before that could occur, staff members allowed students to pie them in the face. Students also voted for the teacher they would most like to see taped to a wall; votes were tallied in donations. This year, Mr. Harkness won the vote and was taped up in the cafeteria for all 4 lunches of the day. All proceeds raised by these events went to purchase food for the Student Hunger Drive. Visit http://wqad.com/2017/10/24/davenport-central-teachers-pied-in-the-face-as-part-of-student-hunger-drive/ to see more as covered by WQAD
Iowa High School Press Association Fall Conference
Members of the Central yearbook staff and newspaper staff attended the annual Iowa High School Press Association Fall Conference at the University of Iowa. Students and advisers attended sessions covering various journalism topics and listened to the keynote speaker. Several students also competed in the on-the-spot photography contest. Students from schools all over Iowa participated in this competition, photographing the convention and submitting their photos for evaluation. Out of the dozens of students who competed, Abby Lance from the yearbook staff received third place.
The yearbook staff also received the following awards for the 2017 yearbook from the IHSPA in Class C, which is based on school size:
- Haley Simpson received an honorable mention for her advertising design.
- Isabelle Kern received an honorable mention for design for her art classes spread.
- Jack Jurgena and Isabelle Kern received second place for design for the C Term divider.
- Alina Kobal, last year’s exchange student from Ukraine, and Isabelle Kern received third place for design for the A Term divider.
- Abby Lance and Kaitlin Trainor received an honorable mention for design for the B Term divider.
- The staff received an honorable mention for their infographic on the JROTC spread.
- Abby Lance received third place for her photo illustration on the B Term divider.
- Jack Jurgena received an honorable mention for his photo illustration on the C Term divider.
- The staff received third place for their reader services throughout the yearbook.
- Alina Kobal received an honorable mention for her story on the JROTC spread.
Congratulations to these journalism students on their recognition from the state competition!
Girls Swim State Qualifiers
Congratulations to the girls swim team members: Liz Weber, Allison Fellner, Abbey Klostermann, and Lexy Cummins for qualifying for the state meet this Saturday in Marshalltown. Also congratulations to the following members of the MAC all-conference team:
- 200 Medley Relay: Liz Weber, Abbey Klostermann, Allison Fellner, and Lexy Cummins –
- Honorable Mention
- 200 Individual Medley: Abbey Klostermann – Honorable Mention
- 100 Butterfly: Allison Fellner – First Seam All-conference
- 100 Breaststroke: Abbey Klostermann – 2nd Team All-Conference
- 400 free relay: Liz Weber, Megan Fellner, Izzy Shook, and Lexy Cummins – Honorable Mention
Great job ladies!