- Successful completion of Biology (freshman course) and Chemistry is required.
- * Pre-AP Biology could become the prerequisite in future course alignments.
- Successful completion of Advanced Chemistry and Algebra II is required.
- Successful completion of French I, II, III, IV is required.
- French Civilization and French Literature is suggested.
- Successful completion American Studies II is required.
- *The class of 2016 and future graduates will be required to first successfully complete US History.
- Successful completion of the freshman US History course is required.
AP Human Geography (Social Studies)
- *This course will be offered to freshmen through seniors in 2013-14.
- Students are expected to complete Sophomore Honors English and Advanced Writing is also strongly recommended before enrolling.
- Algebra 2 (or concurrently enrolled in algebra 2)
- AP Physics 1 or general physics
- Successful completion of Spanish I, II, III, and IV is required.
- Culture and Civilization of Spain and/or Culture and Civilization of Latin America is suggested.
- Successful completion of Algebra II is required.
- Successful completion of a minimum of three 2-D classes or teacher approval is required.
AP Online Course Opportunities for Central Students
The Iowa Online Advanced Placement Academy (IOAPA) was established to deliver Advanced Placement (AP) courses to high school students across the State of Iowa utilizing Apex Learning on-line technology.
- Only designated courses are available at no cost to the students through the Iowa online AP Academy, and there are usually limits on how many students may register from each school.
- IOAPA Courses for 2011-2012
The following AP courses are being offered through IOAPA for 2011-2012:
AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry (or AP Chemistry DL, which has the virtual labs), AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics B, AP Statistics, and AP U.S. History.
- AP Macroeconomics and AP Microeconomics are one-semester courses. An enrollment period will be open in December for adding AP Economics students second semester.
- Other online AP courses, such as AP Psychology, can be taken through Apex Learning, but students must pay the tuition fee. At this time, tuition for each semester is $350.00. The website to register for these courses is: http://www.alvs.org/
- Students must make every effort to schedule TAG Option 1 into their schedule for the duration of their online course.
- Course books and materials are not provided for online AP classes, so they must be purchased by the student.
- Online courses are not for everyone, and all students should be screened and counseled about the challenge and difficulty of these courses.
If you are interested in taking an AP Online Course(s), please see Mrs. Heninger in Room 501.
It is preferable to have a class block reserved as part of the regular school day to devote to the AP Online Course. However, if this is impossible, the course can be taken on your own time. If the AP course is offered at CHS, then you must take that course unless there are schedule conflicts.
Expectations of AP Online Students
- Follow online syllabus without prompting
- Complete assignments on schedule
- Maintain minimum 80% quality of work
- Abide by additional policies specified by the online instructor
- Perform at the college level in areas of writing, reading for analysis and synthesis, and test-taking skills
- Students will be expected to take the College Board AP exam in May for the AP online course taken.