Administrative Regulation 503.06C
Information contained in the Cumulative Record Folder shall not be released to any person or organization other than the student, the parent or guardian, or school staff without the execution of the proper signed release form. The written consent must specify the records that are accessible and to whom the records shall be accessible. Each request for consent must be handled separately. Blanket permission for the access of the information shall not be honored.
The Record Manager shall keep a list of individuals, agencies and organizations which have requested or obtained access to a student’s records, the date access was given and their legitimate educational interest or purpose for which they were authorized to view the records. This list for a student record may be accessed by the parents, the student, and the custodian of student records. (Use All Records Access Form)
The Record Manager shall also keep a list of individuals and their positions that are authorized to view a student’s records without the permission of the parents or the eligible student. Individuals not listed are not allowed access without parental or an eligible student’s written permission. This list must be current and available for public inspection and updated as changes occur. (Use Authorized Access Form)
A request for review of records by the parents or student must adhere to the following:
- Request for inspection of a student record shall be in writing to the building principal (in care of the Records Manager). A mutually accepted time shall be arranged for the inspection.
- A log shall be maintained as part of the record for persons (including school personnel), and shall include the name and date of each person viewing the record and their interest in the information therein.
- A counselor or other school official competent in interpreting student records shall be present to explain the record which is examined when appropriate.
- Parents and students shall be granted the opportunity to receive a copy of the student record and a fee may be charged after interpretation of the record has been made by a competent school official.
A request for information in records must adhere to the following:
- Telephone Requests
Requests for information via the telephone, except directory information, shall not be honored when information requested must be obtained from student records.
- Written Requests
Written requests for information may be honored under the following conditions:
- The inquirer is properly identified by showing government issued ID.
- The purpose of the request is clearly stated.
- The type of information required is expressly stated.
- Prior written consent is given by the parent except in instances exempt under the the Disclosure Section below.
- Personal Visit Requests for Information
Upon presentation of proper identification, a request for information via personal visit shall be honored under the following conditions:
- The inquirer is properly identified showing government issued ID.
- The purpose of the request is clearly stated.
- The type of information required is exactly stated.
- Prior written consent is given by the parent except in instances exempt under the Disclosure Section below.
- A professional staff member shall be present during the entire in-person visit and be available to interpret the data to the third party viewer.
- A record of the visit shall be made on the student’s log sheet.
A parent of a student or former student shall have access to the student’s records as long as that child is a dependent. It shall be presumed, until sufficient contrary evidence is submitted, that a student attending school in the District is a dependent of his/her parents. Anyone alleging facts to the contrary shall be given up to fifteen (15) days to produce substantial evidence of the fact, during which time access shall not be granted.
Parents and students shall have access to the student’s records during the regular business hours of the District. Parents of an eligible student shall be provided access to the student records only with the written permission of the student. A representative of the parent or eligible student shall have access to inspect or review the student’s record with written consent from the parent or eligible student.
Either parent may exercise the rights granted parents unless documentary legal evidence shows that a parent has been expressly precluded from exercising parental rights. The awarding of custody to one parent shall not preclude either parent from being granted access to the student’s record.
Parents shall have the right to access information relating to their student and to know if there is information about their student in another student’s record. Eligible students have the right to access information in their record and to know if there is information about them in another student’s record.
Parents and students shall have a right to access the student’s records upon request without unnecessary delay and, in no instance, more than 45 days after the request is made. Parents, an eligible student, or an authorized representative shall have the right to access the student’s records prior to an Individual Education Program (IEP) meeting or hearing.
- Cross Reference: Board Policy 501.08 Students—Legal Status; 503.06 Cumulative Folder
- Legal Reference: 20 U.S. C. § 1232g, 1415 (1988); 34 C.F.R. Pt. 99, 300.560–.574 (1993); Iowa Code §§ 22; 622.10 (1995); Iowa Code § 256B; 1980 Op. Att’y Gen. 720, 825; IAC 281.12.3(4)
- By action of the Board: 11/8/76; Revised 6/13/83; 11/12/90; 7/12/93; 2/7/94; Revised 3/12/01
- Edited 3/01
- Adopted 8/94
- Reviewed 5/96
- Revised 7/99, Revised 02/07