Administrative Regulation 502.01D
Special Health Conditions
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES FOR NOTIFYING
TEACHERS OF PUPILS WITH SPECIAL HEALTH CONDITIONS
By law, we are not allowed to circulate a list of students with specific health problems. However, as indicated in Right of Privacy 99.36 (Release of Information for Health or Safety Emergencies) we may release such information to appropriate persons, if the knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of a student or other persons. Therefore:
- The school nurse will continue to evaluate health records to determine students whose conditions should be known for reasons of health or safety.
- The nurse will contact the parent/s or guardian/s to determine the current health status of the student and will inform the parent that specific school personnel will be given health information.
- The nurse will inform school personnel who are scheduled with the student of the special health condition.
- The nurse will make a periodic check (at least yearly) with parent/s or guardian/s to reassess condition and make necessary follow up with school personnel.
- Students with special health care needs will be evaluated by a multidisciplinary team and appropriate provisions and documentation will be provided.
- Updated 4/91, 4/98
- Reviewed 8/99, 7/03