1702 N. Main St.
Davenport, IA

Administrative Regulation 303.11A



General Policy

Employees and officers of the Davenport Community School District may occasionally travel to attend conferences, conventions, training seminars or meetings as deemed necessary for carrying out the duties of their position. Travel approved by the District will be at District expense, and all reasonable and approved expenses incurred will be reimbursed according to this policy. 

Effective Date 

July 1, 2015


This policy applies to all employees and officers of the Davenport Community School District traveling on behalf of the District, regardless of the funding source.   This includes, but is not limited to, travel under Federal or State grants, Food and Nutrition funds, and General funds.


I. General:

All claims for reimbursement must be completed within 10 days of the date incurred.

When a receipt is required, the receipt must be dated, must detail the costs incurred, and include the business name, address and phone.

Professional development allotments for Administrators should be monitored by the employee, and the remaining balance noted on the travel form at the time of reimbursement. Expenses incurred above the remaining professional development balance will not be paid by the District. Other individual program or department budget allocations should be monitored by the program or department head.

Employees are expected to exercise the same care in incurring costs as they would if on a personal trip. The sharing of rooms and automobile travel is encouraged whenever possible.

Failure to comply with this policy may result in full or partial denial of reimbursement, and/or disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

II. Authorization:

Approval by the immediate supervisor is required prior to the time of travel. It is the responsibility of the immediate supervisor to verify the length of the conference and determine the appropriateness of the amount of leave requested, and method of travel.

Employees will request leave for travel either by submitting a Leave or District Assignment Request (Form B42-43, #5530) or via TimeClock Plus (if available).

All travel outside of a 400 mile radius from Davenport must be pre-approved by the superintendent. Criteria for approving district funds for travel in excess of 400 miles is as follows (provide a short explanation addressing the following issues):

  1. The travel will bring a definable advantage to the district
  2. The training/conference participating is specifically required by a grant or program regulation
  3. The training/experience cannot be obtained at a closer venue. It is infeasible to bring a trainer to us.
  4. The funding is for the least number of participants needed to accomplish the mission.
  5. The least expensive practical means of travel is used. Reasonable efforts are made to reduce the cost of lodging.
  6. Funds are available and the travel will have a greater impact on student achievement than any other use.

III. Reimbursable Expense Categories:

A. Registration
Registration fees for all training or conferences may be paid in advance to the vendor, or reimbursed on the Travel Reimbursement Request (Form A-117, #5380). A copy of the registration form, and any brochures or correspondence detailing the costs and events of the training or conference must be attached.

B. Per Diem
Pre-approved expenses for meals are limited to the GSA (Government Services Administration) rates when meals are not included in registration fees. Meals will not be reimbursed for in-district travel. The GSA rate is allocated as follows: 20% of rate for breakfast, 30% of rate for lunch, 50% of rate for dinner.

Breakfast will only be reimbursed when there has been overnight travel the day before and is not included in prepaid fees. On days returning to the district, the evening meal will only be reimbursed if you arrive back in the district after 7:00 p.m. and have incurred a cost for the evening meal.

No advances will be allowed. No receipts are necessary for meals paid at the GSA rate.
Determining GSA Per Diem Rates

  • Go to the following website and type in the City and State to where you are traveling: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877.
  • Hit the red button “Find Per Diem Rates”.
  • The  very last column entitled “M&IE” (Meals and Incidental Expenses) contains a rate; that is the amount of per diem that is allowable for the city you input.
  • For example, the M&IE listed for Davenport is $46. That means $9.20 is allowable for breakfast, $13.80 for lunch and $23.00 for dinner.


Please attach a copy of this screen verifying your rate to your Travel Reimbursement Request (Form A-117, #5380).

C. Transportation
Pre-approved expenses for transportation within 300 miles of the District will be by automobile.

District vehicle:

The first preference is for a district vehicle to be used and should be reserved if one is available for all trips not requiring air travel. The gas used on the trip in the district vehicle will be reimbursed. Contact the office of Director of Support Services for availability. A District credit card will be provided with each District vehicle to be used for gas, oil, or other reasonable operating expenses. Other emergency expenses for gas, oil, or repairs not charged to the District credit card may be reimbursed with a proper receipt. No additional amounts for mileage will be paid when using a district vehicle.

Personal vehicle:

If a District vehicle is not available, reimbursement for a personal vehicle will be $.40 cents for each mile driven for District business. Mileage will be determined by the distance of the usually traveled, most direct route. Per IRS regulations, the mileage is calculated from the employee’s place of employment (NOT from their home) to the destination and back to the place of employment. Reimbursement for mileage will not exceed the most economical choice considering such factors as airfare rates, and number of people traveling. No additional amounts for gas, oil, repairs or other operating expenses will be paid. Documentation must be attached to mileage reimbursement requests such as MapQuest, YahooMaps, etc .verifying mileage requested. Sometimes, an employee may indicate that they only want to be reimbursed for gas.  Usually, this will be a lower dollar amount than the mileage reimbursement, and this is OK to do if the employee chooses to do this in order to save their budget some money.  When more than one employee is traveling to the same destination, travel should be coordinated in the District vehicle, or one personal vehicle, so as to provide the most cost effective transportation.


Rental Vehicle:

Employees are responsible for making arrangements for a rental car. Hertz, Enterprise and Dale Snapp are local vendors that can be used and will accept a purchase order. If a rental vehicle is required on out of town travel, it is the responsibility of the employee to make all arrangements and to secure payment with a purchase order, personal credit card or check out a district travel card through the office of the CFO. If the employee uses a purchase order an internal request form (C-Form #6310) should be completed for the number of days of travel. Upon returning, employee must complete a receiving report and attach appropriate paperwork for payment to vendor. If the employee uses a personal credit card, once the employee returns from travel, the employee can submit a reimbursement for the amount of the rental vehicle by attaching a copy of the paid bill to a Travel Reimbursement Request (Form A-117, #5380).


Air Travel

Employees are responsible for making their own flight arrangements. Reimbursement for air travel will be at the tourist class fare. If special discounts are afforded District employees, spouses traveling with employees will not be afforded the discount unless the discount is applicable to any member of the public. Airlines do not accept purchase orders to reserve tickets; therefore, it is the responsibility of the employee to secure flight arrangements with the use of a personal credit card or by checking out a district travel card through the office of the CFO. If using a personal credit card, once the employee has received confirmation of the flight arrangement, the employee can immediately submit a reimbursement for the amount of the tickets by attaching a copy of the confirmation to a Travel Reimbursement Request (Form A-117, #5380). The name on the credit card being used MUST be the person traveling, or one of the people in a group traveling. The card being used cannot be from a third party. Charges for returning or reissuing airline tickets for business purposes must be approved by the supervisor and the individual responsible for the funding. Fees for returning or reissuing airline tickets for personal reasons will not be paid by the District. All frequent flyer miles accumulated shall become the sole property of the District.

D. Lodging
Employees are also responsible for making their own lodging arrangements. Other incidental or unexpected lodging may be reimbursed on the Travel Reimbursement Request (Form A-117, #5380), with a detailed receipt attached.  If the hotel/motel does not accept purchase orders or a District check, it is the responsibility of the employee to secure the reservation with a personal credit card or by checking out a district travel card through the office of the CFO. If using a personal credit card, upon returning from travel the employee can submit for reimbursement for the amount of the lodging by attaching a copy of the paid bill to a Travel Reimbursement Request (Form A-117, #5380). All expenses incurred for spouses or companions, such as increased room fees, will be the responsibility of the employee, and will not be paid by the District. These charges, as well as any items or meals charged to the room must be paid by the employee at the time of checkout.

E. Other
Tolls, parking, car rental, and shuttles or taxis to and from the airport, meeting place or hotel will be reimbursed with proper receipts. Expenses incurred for sight-seeing, personal trips or entertainment will not be included.

IV. Ineligible Expenses:
The following are considered personal conveniences and will not be reimbursed by the District. This list is not intended to be all inclusive, but is a representation of the types of ineligible expenses. Final determination of the eligibility of any cost rests with the District.

Alcoholic Beverages                                                                                        Room Service

Candy/Snacks                                                                                                 Personal Phone Calls

Books/Magazines (leisure)                                                                            Souvenirs

Travel Insurance                                                                                            Movie Rentals

Maid Service                                                                                                   Additional expenses for family members

When conference entertainment events are offered at an additional cost, the employee is responsible for the cost of those events they wish to attend. A personal check payable to the District must be attached to the Internal Request Form (C-Form, #6310) to reimburse the District for those costs.
V.  Reimbursement Procedures:

A. In-district, Local Day and Out-of-District Day Travel

In-district travel is defined as any or all travel within the limits of the Davenport Community School District. Local travel is defined as any travel within the Quad City region.

In-district and/or local travel is considered a normal work day, therefore no per diem will be given, and no meals will be reimbursed.

Mileage may be reimbursed for distances traveled in excess of the employee’s normal travel to/from work, or for distances traveled between the employee’s normal place of work and the meeting place.   An In-District Travel Reimbursement Claim (Form A-106, #5350) should be used for amounts over $100. This form must be signed by the employee and their supervisor. Finally, Accounts Payable will process a check for Board approval.

Petty cash may be received from the Accounting Department for amounts less than $100. This includes tolls, mileage, or parking, but must be supported by a proper receipt.

Overnight Travel

  • Generally, the travel period will commence the day prior to the opening of the conference, and will close the day following the close of the conference. If the employee will be staying an extended length of time due to an airline discount requirement (i.e. Saturday night stay), a calculation must be attached to the Leave or District Assignment Request (Form B42-43, #5530) detailing the air travel savings as compared to the additional lodging and per diem costs.

VI.  Hours Worked

A. Salaried Employees

Salaried employees’ rate of pay is not affected by travel since they are under contract and not paid on an hourly basis.
B. Hourly Employees
1.  1 day conference in another city requiring travel
The time spent in traveling from home to another city and returning from the other city is considered work time. If the employee drives to the conference site the time may contribute to overtime. If the employee is a passenger in the vehicle to the conference site, the time attributable to the travel may be banked as compensatory time if the employee exceeds eighty hours for the pay period.
2. Travel Away from Home Community
Travel that keeps an employee away from home overnight is travel away from home. Travel away from home is clearly work time when it cuts across the employee’s workday. The time is not only hours worked on regular working days during normal working hours but also during corresponding hours on nonworking days. Work time that time spent in travel away from home outside of regular working hours as a passenger on an airplane, train, boat, bus, or automobile is not considered work time.



  • Reviewed 8/97, 7/99; 3/13, 5/15
  • Revised 11/97, 8/1/13, 9/15