What is ProStart?
ProStart is an educational experience for any student who is a junior or senior in high school who wishes to be introduced to and explore the fast growing industry of culinary(food) and hospitality careers. The ProStart curriculum is developed by the National Restaurant Association. It is a combination of classroom instruction, as well as paid work experience. ProStart is a joint effort between Davenport Community Schools and Scott Community College as well as several business partners in the community.
Additionally, students will be assisted in finding a job where they will be required to work 400 hours during the school year. 250 of those hours must be paid hours and the remaining can be through volunteerism. They can achieve national certification and any student passing the ProStart course requirements will receive college credit from Scott Community College. Students receiving national certification can get credit for their achievement at most community college culinary arts programs as well as some 4-year programs and culinary schools.
For more information on ProStart please feel free to contact Jennifer Boyd at 563-336-3822 or by email – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 1, 2016 – 2016 State ProStart Competition:
- Hosted by the Iowa Restaurant Association Education Foundation, the Iowa ProStart Student Invitational showcases the culinary, management and academic talents of Iowa’s top ProStart students from high schools across the state. Davenport took eight students to the competition to represent two teams – Culinary and Management. Culinary cooked their hearts out with honorable mention of great communication as a team. This team included Connor Baker, Emma Embree, Kirstin Felske, Iris Hayslett and Miranda Thomas. The Culinary Team worked for two hours showcasing their specific skills and culinary expertise, and developed a three course meal that judges applauded.
- The Management team of Emma Petri, Caleb Howlett and Andrew Welch brought home 1st place and will be competing at The National ProStart Invitation in Dallas, TX April 29- May 1. Their restaurant concept Prix Fixe was an original restaurant presented to judges and they were also asked a series of critical thinking questions related to day to day restaurant operations. Way to go team!
- February 5, 2016 – Prostart students Emma Embree, Aaron Fischer, and Iris Hayslett participated in the Bacon Fest at the River Center. They served patrons a trio of pureed mashed potatoes and bacon while promoting ProStart!
- February 28, 2017 at the Iowa Events Center in Des Moines is the Iowa ProStart Invitational. Davenport will be sending both a Culinary and a Management team to compete.
- April 28th through the 30th in North Charleston, SC is the National ProStart Invitational. Each year, nearly 500 student competitors put their skills to the test, all with the hopes of earning a coveted scholarship from one of the nation’s largest culinary and restaurant management programs.
For more information on ProStart and the Iowa Restaurant Association please visit the Restaurant Iowa web site.