West, Central, and North High journalism students recently attended the Iowa High School Press Association Fall Conference at the University of Iowa. At the conference, students attended sessions on writing, photography, design, and leadership skills. They also heard a keynote speech from renowned investigative reporter Brian Ross, formerly from ABC News. Schools from across Iowa compete against each other at the event, in various school newspaper and yearbook categories. This year, Davenport students brought home the following awards:
- The Shaheen yearbook staff received two Honorable Mention Awards: one for Feature Photo/Student Life and one for Sports Feature Photo.
- The Blackhawk yearbook staff received 3rd in Design/Opening, Closing or Division Spread, 3rd in Reader Services, 3rd in Theme, and an Honorable Mention in Cover
- Elizabeth Bitterman, 1st and 3rd place in Advertising
- Haley Simpson and Hailie Dreyer, Honorable Mention in Design/Mugs
- Sydney Bernauer, 2nd place in Feature Photo/Student Life (School Related)
- Abby Lance, 2 Honorable Mentions in Photo Illustration
- Geneva Fredenburg, Honorable Mention in Photo Illustration
- Hailie Dreyer and Vanessa Gomez, Honorable Mention in Sports Story
- Juli Chavez and Vanessa Gomez, Honorable Mention in Story/Student Life (School Related)
- The Norwica was one of the five finalists competing for Yearbook of the Year
- Individually, students, including Max Revels, Danni Krum, Phyllis Debates, Cashea Kipper, Jacob Niemeir, Jai Edwards, Cassandra Snell, Karlenia Hildebrant, and Tylor Huges, won four 1st places, four 2nd places, two 3rd places, and seven Honorable Mentions in Class B. Awards were received for Cover, Designs, Photos, Sports Writing, Feature Writing, Infograph, and Theme.